Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Sheltered: Artists Respond to COVID-19


Sheltered: Artists Respond to COVID-19
January 14 – March 20 
Schack Art Center

"My artwork has always reflected my fascination & appreciation of nature; however, the importance of this has been profoundly reinforced during the pandemic. My daily rural walks have not only nurtured but have continued to inspire me, increasing my desire to highlight this invaluable resource. The pandemic has also prompted me to continue to explore new materials & methods. In the past several years I've created environmental sculptures & installations using reclaimed plastics. Not only is this no longer a safe option but I was creatively ready for a change. In my new series of sculptures I'm now translating some of these same forms using a combination of fiber, paper, acrylic & wire. Using familiar methods & techniques in unconventional ways, the process of making becomes an art meditation, a time of reflection & healing."

This exhibit explores each artists' individual response to challenges faced during the pandemic. Some have continued to create in similar ways, others have created entirely new ways and workflows. Examine the pieces and the inspiration behind them in Sheltered: Artists Respond to COVID-19. 

See the full list of exhibiting artists HERE